2021:Submissions/Global templates, component templates
Speakers[edit | edit source]
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Wikitext templates began simply, but have taken on a life of their own. Although much of on-wiki life depends on them, only a small number of people are comfortable editing them.
We want to explore different ways to make templates easier to work with. A repository of Global templates would allow zero-effort reuse across languages and projects, like what Commons does for images. “Component” template syntax flips the relationship between logic and template, and provides a bundled format for dependencies and subtemplates.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Template Styles is already available, and underutilized.
- Translatable Modules will make it easier to use Scribunto modules on multi-language wikis.
- Template Translation was the highest-ranked proposal voted on during the 2021 Community Wishlist Survey.
- Component Template resembles Vue and Web Components standards. The RFC is open for discussion and prototyping.
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Recording of talk (YouTube): Global templates, component templates
- Global templates links:
- Slides for Global templates
- Slides for component templates
- Draft RFC for component templates
I'm planning to attend this session![edit | edit source]
- Dollyrajupslp (talk) 18:21, 12 August 2021 (UTC)
- --KuboF Hromoslav (talk) 01:35, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Orlysi (talk) 05:44, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Salgo60 (talk) 14:06, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Pigsonthewing (talk)
- I can't make it because it clashes with my own lecture, but would love to be informed of any follow up news from this discussion! Deryck Chan (talk) 16:48, 14 August 2021 (UTC)