Wikimania:Expressions of Interest/2024/Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia
Expression of interest: Bolivia[edit source]
In a few sentences tell us about your submissions. What made you and your community want to host the next Wikimania?
Our community has been working for more than 10 years to promote the use of Wikipedia and its sister projects. In the past three years, we have shown significant growth and achieved numerous milestones. We have also became more aware of the We believe that hosting our conference in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia will allow us to showcase the strengths of our community and the impact of our work to a wider audience. We have worked with many institutions for our projects, such as Government agencies, embassies, and other cultural institutions. We believe Wikimanía will help us also better establish our community as a reference point for free knowledge in our country as well as showing our cultural diversity.
Who is submitting this expression of interest?
Venue + lodging[edit source]
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra is the largest city in Bolivia and the capital of the Santa Cruz department. It is located in the eastern part of the country, on the Pirai River. It is a modern, bustling city with a population of over 2 million people. It is an important economic center, with a large agricultural industry and many business and financial institutions. As a conference venue, Santa Cruz de la Sierra offers a range of hotel options, as well as conference and exhibition centers. The city has an international airport and is well-connected by air and road to other parts of the country. There are many restaurants and cultural attractions in the city, making it an enjoyable place to visit. The city has a tropical climate, with warm temperatures and high humidity throughout the year.
- Option #1 The Fexpocruz fair and convention center is a modern facility located in the city center. It is designed to host a range of events, including trade shows, conventions, and exhibitions. The center features a large main exhibition hall, as well as several smaller meeting rooms and conference facilities. The center is equipped with state-of-the-art audiovisual technology and has Wi-Fi access throughout the facility. There is also a cafeteria and a VIP lounge on site. The fair and convention center has ample parking and is easily accessible by car or public transportation. It is a popular venue for business and trade events in the region and is well-suited for hosting conferences and other professional gatherings.
- Option #2 Hotel Los Tajibos is a 4-star hotel located in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. It is a modern hotel with a range of amenities, including a restaurant, bar, fitness center, and outdoor pool. The hotel has several conference and meeting rooms, as well as a large ballroom that can accommodate up to 1,000 people. The conference facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art audiovisual technology and Wi-Fi access. The hotel also has a business center and a range of services for corporate travelers. The hotel is located near the city center and is easily accessible by car or public transportation. It is a popular choice for business and conference travelers.
Travel + visas[edit source]
more information on Bolivia on WikiVoyage
The following nationalities will not need a visa for short stays of less than 90 days as tourists:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Netherlands, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Vatican City, and Venezuela.
Most people who do need tourist visas can obtain them on arrival, except for the following nationalities:
- Afghanistan, Angola, Bhutan, Cambodia, Chad, East Timor, Indonesia, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan, Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, United States, Yemen.
- However, under urgent and special circumstances foreigners in this group can obtain visas at the port of entry. US citizens will normally receive a triple-entry visa valid for 3 entries per year over a 5-year period.
All business travellers and persons wishing to stay longer than 90 days in a year must obtain a visa in advance.
All people over the age of 12 months needs a yellow fever vaccination certificate to apply for a visa.
Facilities + services[edit source]
- Both options offer arrangements for the big opening and closing ceremonies. The hotels and conference center have experience handling big events of this size. Also, Tigo, the local ISP has demostrated to be able to acommodate to the needs of such conferences. We understand that wifi and internet connection is a must.
Safety + security[edit source]
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra like any other big city is safe as long as you keep yourself to touristic areas and plan ahead.
- Health care is readily available for those with international travel insurance.
- The convention area and its surrounding areas are considered relatively safe.
Alternate locations[edit source]
- Tarija: Hotel Los Parrales.
- Tarija is a city located in southern Bolivia and is known for its beautiful landscape and warm climate. It is an important agricultural and wine-producing region and is also home to many cultural attractions. There are many hotels in Tarija that may be suitable for hosting conferences and other events. Hotel Los Parrales is capable of hosting 1000 opening and closing events.
- August is winter time in Santa Cruz and Tarija. However winter at both locations is mild and the weather is generally good.
Any other details that you think would be helpful for the Wikimania Steering Committee.
- Wikimedistas de Bolivia page on Meta.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Wikimedia_Bolivia.