2019:A11y/Towards Knowledge Equity through Accessibility
This is a Closed submission for Wikimania 2019. It has been reviewed and was not accepted.
Description[edit | edit source]
To achieve Knowledge Equity and get closer to reaching every single human being, Wikimedia needs to be a First Class Internet Citizen on Inclusion. Standing on the shoulders of giants, the Wikimedia communities have been at the forefront of making our content inclusive with their own ethical outlines and guidelines. With possible legal requirements ahead and more complex interfaces and media types developing, we need to ensure that we understand and address a wide range of user needs in order to be as inclusive as possible.
Note: This topic has been submitted at the Advocacy Space as well. Whereas here, we think about a more design/technically & contents oriented presentation in collaboration with selected community members.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in th e following manner:
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
The session addresses the following questions:
- What is the current state of accessibility of the Wikimedia projects – on interface and information level?
- What were the achievements over the last three years, specifically on design and user-interface for Wikimedia projects?
- What are further plans to be more inclusive?
- What is within our movement's reach to support from a critical resources perspective under current technical limitations?
- What are organizational foundations to ease access for physically or visually impaired users?
- How can Wikimedia work towards better accessibility of information provided by collaborators?
The session convenes design and community experts to discuss the role of accessibility in Wikimedia's movement strategy and it contribution towards the SDGs.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Volker E., Wikimedia Foundation, Lead User-Interface Standardization
- Volunteer community members from the Accessibility interested group.
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lightning talk
- Roundtable discussion forum
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
Room for 20 people.
No knowledge required, accessibility basics welcome.