It's not easy being a newbie on Wikipedia! All those things you have to consider, finding a topic, looking for sources.... Wiki mark-up, Commons for pictures, Wikidata for the data... Let's make it easy!
Together with Amnesty International I developed a set up for edit-a-thons where newbies start with writing 1-3 articles in one afternoon.
Amnesty takes care of the topics (mostly: human rights defenders and affiliates) and a list of correct sources. The (new) editors write the story and I do the mark-up, Commons and Wikidata part afterwards.
It's that easy!
The organisers of the community growth space believe that the space will address the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- 10 Reduced inequalities
- 11 Sustainable cities and communities
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions
- 17 Partnerships for the goals.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- 10. Reduced inequalities
- 16. Peace, justice and strong institutions
The organisers of the space and the community have identified a number of topics they wish to address in this space. Please explain how your proposal its into these topic areas.
As a reminder, the proposed topics are listed at 2019:Community Growth
This session will address the topics of the Growth space in the following manner:
Writing ànd completing your first article in your first writing session feels like a success, and success causes retention of newcomers. Making the wiki-work easy makes it more fun for newcomers!
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- People will know more about organising an wiki-a-thon for newbies
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
- It would be a straight forward presentation with free-licensed slides, so no limitations.
Relationship with the organisers of the space[edit | edit source]
The organisers of the community growth space wish to provide any necessary support to presenters and participants that they may need and also wish to have an active role in shaping the content of the space to maximise the benefit of all attendees. Please let us know if you would appreciate any help, and if you consent to constructive suggestions from the organiser team that would allow the largest amount of people to share and benefit from each other's contributions.
- I would be interested in receiving help in shaping my submission: NO
- In particular, I would need the following type of help or advice:
- I consent to the organisers of the space contacting me to discuss alternative ways to present my knowledge (for example, merging two proposals into a common presentation, a panel debate instead of a lightning talk, etc.), or ways to modify and improve my proposal (for example by ensuring a gender diversity on panels) : YES
- If my proposal is not selected for a presentation, I would be interested in presenting my proposal in the form of a poster in the Community Growth space: YES
- I consent to my proposal being proposed to organisers of other spaces if it would be a good cross-over topic or if it fits better into the other space's scope: YES