If you have been around in Wikimedia projects for a while, you have been involved in some sort of reporting. Reporting can be for your own activity, the activity of your usergroup/chapter, and/or activities in conferences and events. For volunteers, it can sometimes be a very stressful and time-consuming task. Chances are that the stakes are high when you are reporting since future support from donors or the WMF depends on it. in a way. Vent it out in this discussion session. Share the problems you have, your complaints, and your nifty tips! I will share my tips too!
The organisers of the community growth space believe that the space will address the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- 10 Reduced inequalities
- 11 Sustainable cities and communities
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions
- 17 Partnerships for the goals.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This session helps community growth through opening the floor for discussion on reporting. It is highly important for documenting the activities within the communities and deciding on where support should be given. However, reporting can get very burdensome and confusing resulting in the marginalization or failure of some activities. Hence, it is closely related to community growth.
The organisers of the space and the community have identified a number of topics they wish to address in this space. Please explain how your proposal its into these topic areas.
As a reminder, the proposed topics are listed at 2019:Community Growth
This session will address the topics of the Growth space in the following manner:
The session is related to on-wiki engagement in a way since reporting becomes an integral part of many active editors life on Wiki projects.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
A compilation of challenges, suggestions, and tips for reporting in different cases.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
- Roundtable discussion forum
The session will work best with these conditions:
Room, chairs, and a data show.
Anybody within the movement who needs to do reporting and not sure where to begin.
Anybody withing the movement who reported something before.
An hour would be nice.
Relationship with the organisers of the space[edit | edit source]
The organisers of the commu
nity growth space wish to provide any necessary support to presenters and participants that they may need and also wish to have an active role in shaping the content of the space to maximise the benefit of all attendees. Please let us know if you would appreciate any help, and if you consent to constructive suggestions from the organiser team that would allow the largest amount of people to share and benefit from each other's contributions.
- I would be interested in receiving help in shaping my submission: YES
- In particular, I would need the following type of help or advice: how to facilitate a workshop.
- I consent to the organisers of the space contacting me to discuss alternative ways to present my knowledge (for example, merging two proposals into a common presentation, a panel debate instead of a lightning talk, etc.), or ways to modify and improve my proposal (for example by ensuring a gender diversity on panels) : YES
- If my proposal is not selected for a presentation, I would be interested in presenting my proposal in the form of a poster in the Community Growth space: YES
- I consent to my proposal being proposed to organisers of other spaces if it would be a good cross-over topic or if it fits better into the other space's scope: YES