Community Growth/Retention program in Hungary
After a longer preparation period, Wikimedia Hungary started an editor retention program this year in order to improve the capability retaining old and new editors in the Hungarian community. This session would like to briefly introduce the main idea and plans of the program, and present the first experience and learning from it.
The organisers of the community growth space believe that the space will address the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- 10 Reduced inequalities
- 11 Sustainable cities and communities
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions
- 17 Partnerships for the goals.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure: by improving the infrastructure of our Wikimedia projects.
- 10 Reduced inequalities: by a friendlier Wikimedia community which is open and welcoming for everybody; moreover, larger community is able to address more energy and attention to knowledge/content gaps and mentoring/helping others.
- 11 Sustainable cities and communities: by helping Wikimedia communities becoming sustainable and developing, and building up the capacities necessary for the long-term community development in the volunteer community.
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions: peace inside the volunteer communities is important for the future development of our projects, and the presentation will show actions to get closer to this (ideal) goal.
The organisers of the space and the community have identified a number of topics they wish to address in this space. Please explain how your proposal its into these topic areas.
As a reminder, the proposed topics are listed at 2019:Community Growth
This session will address the topics of the Growth space in the following manner:
The project focuses on a wider range of actions, including
- retention of Wikimedia contributors by online and offline strategies, case studies, considerations, and research;
- technology work by improved (editing, mentoring etc.) tools and communication surfaces;
- on-wiki engagement: techniques for mentorship, teaching and keeping newcomers involved from on the wikis; motivating the experienced editors;
- off-wiki engagement: off-wiki programs, events, and communication keeping the contributors involved.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Participants will be familiar with the basic idea, goals, activities and the first experience of the retention project on the Hungarian Wikipedia, which can be useful for other Wikimedia (or non-Wikimedia) communities as well.
- The session leader can collect some new inputs, ideas and recommendations, which help the success of the project.
- User:Samat (community and project manager, Wikimedia Hungary)
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: small or middle size classroom with projector and screen where effective interaction and discussion with the audience is possible;
- Audience: 20-50 people. No special knowledge or skill is required, but experienced participants are welcomed :)
- Recording: There will be no content with privacy, copyright or non-public constrains in the presentation. The discussion phase could cause challenges for recording and/or streaming (and require microphones in this case).
- Time requested: about 15 minutes for the presentation and 15 minutes for the discussion.
Relationship with the organisers of the space[edit | edit source]
The organisers of the community growth space wish to provide any necessary support to presenters and participants that they may need and also wish to have an active role in shaping the content of the space to maximise the benefit of all attendees. Please let us know if you would appreciate any help, and if you consent to constructive suggestions from the organiser team that would allow the largest amount of people to share and benefit from each other's contributions.
- I would be interested in receiving help in shaping my submission: YES.
- In particular, I would need the following type of help or advice: I am open for any advice / help which can make the session better / more useful, but I don't have any specific request yet.
- I consent to the organisers of the space contacting me to discuss alternative ways to present my knowledge (for example, merging two proposals into a common presentation, a panel debate instead of a lightning talk, etc.), or ways to modify and improve my proposal (for example by ensuring a gender diversity on panels) : YES
- If my proposal is not selected for a presentation, I would be interested in presenting my proposal in the form of a poster in the Community Growth space: YES
- I consent to my proposal being proposed to organisers of other spaces if it would be a good cross-over topic or if it fits better into the other space's scope: YES