“I have been using Wikipedia as a source of information for the last one decade or more, but never thought that one day, I can ever write or even edit a Wikipedia article, as I thought it is written by professionals from western countries”.- Now I am a Wikipedian, thanks to my Facebook friend, who told me that I can. So, just like me there are thousands or even more who don’t know whether they too can write a Wikipedia article or even edit one. Where is the awareness? That anyone can write a Wikipedia article or even edit one, further questions like, Whom to contact? Any contact details? Any contact person? How to start? Is there any tutorial available on the internet? Which topic I should write about? There are so many questions which remain unanswered. So, here comes “The Wiki guy”, to rescue, he will answer everyone’s questions, just mail him or contact him on social networking platforms, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or even call him up. “The Wiki Guy” is ready to listen or I say, I am listening.
The organisers of the community growth space believe that the space will address the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- 10 Reduced inequalities
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions
- 17 Partnerships for the goals.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This session itself relates with the sustainable development goals and theme of this year’s Wikimania, as it encourages anybody whether the person is he or she to participate or wants to join the Wikimedia Community thus addressing “Gender Equality” (Goal 5) and “Reduced Inequalities” (Goal 10),, educating the society, thus providing “Quality Education” (Goal 4), ensuring ‘Innovation’ (Goal 9), as the idea gets replicated and we have more partners & affiliates from around the world doing the same ensuring “Partnerships for the goals” (Goal 17), and finally, if the goal is reached it will ensure “Peace, justice and strong institutions bonding” (Goal 16) with “Good health and well-being (Goal 3).
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
Every participant will have a better understanding of how one can be “The Wiki Guy”, in his/her country, or within his/her affiliates or UG and can spread the message that anyone can write a Wikipedia article or even edit one and he/she will tell how it is done.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
Relationship with the organisers of the space[edit | edit source]
The organisers of the community growth space wish to provide any necessary support to presenters and participants that they may need and also wish to have an active role in shaping the content of the space to maximise the benefit of all attendees. Please let us know if you would appreciate any help, and if you consent to constructive suggestions from the organiser team that would allow the largest amount of people to share and benefit from each other's contributions.
- I would be interested in receiving help in shaping my submission: NO.
- In particular, I would need the following type of help or advice:
- I consent to the organisers of the space contacting me to discuss alternative ways to present my knowledge (for example, merging two proposals into a common presentation, a panel debate instead of a lightning talk, etc.), or ways to modify and improve my proposal (for example by ensuring a gender diversity on panels) : YES
- If my proposal is not selected for a presentation, I would be interested in presenting my proposal in the form of a poster in the Community Growth space: YES
- I consent to my proposal being proposed to organisers of other spaces if it would be a good cross-over topic or if it fits better into the other space's scope: YES
Note: If the session get selected “The Wiki Guy” will be revealed and the initiative will be launched on this year's Wikimania.,,