This year the editing team has been working on the mobile visual editor, taking it from an experimental opt-in feature to a place where we are confident it offers a better experience than the existing editor.
We will talk about the various stages of our work over the year, analysing the existing mobile experiences, identifying technical and usability issues, and how we worked as engineers and designers to address these.
We will also touch on the various technical limitations we faced, but also some of the technical possibilities that mobile offers and what that means for the future of editing.
The organisers of the community growth space believe that the space will address the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- 9 Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- 10 Reduced inequalities
- 11 Sustainable cities and communities
- 16 Peace, justice and strong institutions
- 17 Partnerships for the goals.This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
SDG 10: By removing the requirement to have a desktop computer to edit Wikipedia, we greatly level the playing field of who can contribute.
The organisers of the space and the community have identified a number of topics they wish to address in this space. Please explain how your proposal its into these topic areas.
As a reminder, the proposed topics are listed at 2019:Community Growth
This session will address the topics of the Growth space in the following manner:
Increasingly our users are coming from mobile, and many don't even have access to a desktop computer. In order for these new users to be able to contribute in a meaningful way, it is important for us to offer them accessible tools that work on their devices.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Communicated the work that has been done on the visual editor on mobile this year and why
- Started a discussion about what this means for the future of editing
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Audience: No prior knowledge.
- Recording: Suitable for recording and sharing
- Time requested: 30 minutes (presentation and questions)
Relationship with the organisers of the space[edit | edit source]
The organisers of the community growth space wish to provide any necessary support to presenters and participants that they may need and also wish to have an active role in shaping the content of the space to maximise the benefit of all attendees. Please let us know if you would appreciate any help, and if you consent to constructive suggestions from the organiser team that would allow the largest amount of people to share and benefit from each other's contributions.
- I would be interested in receiving help in shaping my submission: YES.
- In particular, I would need the following type of help or advice:
- I consent to the organisers of the space contacting me to discuss alternative ways to present my knowledge (for example, merging two proposals into a common presentation, a panel debate instead of a lightning talk, etc.), or ways to modify and improve my proposal (for example by ensuring a gender diversity on panels) : YES
- If my proposal is not selected for a presentation, I would be interested in presenting my proposal in the form of a poster in the Community Growth space: NO
- I consent to my proposal being proposed to organisers of other spaces if it would be a good cross-over topic or if it fits better into the other space's scope: YES