2019:Education/Wikidata for Wikimedia Commons users, Wikidata for beginners
|This is an Accepted submission for the Education space at Wikimania 2019.|
Notes for workshop: User:Juandev/Wikidata for Wikimedia Commons users, Wikidata for beginners
Title[edit | edit source]
Wikidata on Wikimedia Commons
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
|Full Name*||Email address*||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)||Affiliation||Country||Role, website or any other details you'd like to share|
|Jan Lochman||janlochman at gmail.com||Juandev||-||Czech Republic||-|
- I support this workshop, and will be very happy to help with it. I work for the Structured Data on Commons team. SandraF (WMF) (talk) 09:45, 4 June 2019 (UTC)
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem - 120 min
Length of session[edit | edit source]
Please indicate how long you'd like your session to be, in consideration with the above described
- 120 min
Description[edit | edit source]
Recently Wikimedia Foundation developers has been deploying more and more structured data units on Wikimedia Commons. There are some participants, who dont know how to handle them and how to handle the future once as they are not aware how to edit Wikidata. This workshop will explain such perticipants what are Structured Data and Wikidata, why they are deployed to Wikimedia Commons and how to benefit from them. Participants will be trained than in basic contribution to Wikidata to understand it and filling new dialog lines on WMC. There will be also short introduction to data mining targeting structured data properties.
This workshop is good for those who are active on Wikimedia Commons and are not aware of Wikidata, but also of those, who would like to get into the Wikidata itself.
Supporting work[edit | edit source]
- Advocacy of Structured Data on WMC and training is my long term approach. I have started with the presentations on different meetings (Czech, Polish) and continue with training (Polish).
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner: 17 - Partners for the goals
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved: At the end participants will have a good knowledge of the power of Wikidata and it would prevent burn outs, which sometimes comes with new changes within the system.
Relation to other Spaces[edit | edit source]
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: room with chairs and tables, proper internet conectivity, some laptops, projector, some English books or newspapers, could be old.
- Audience: especially active Wikimedia Commons participants and other interested in Wikidata, data mining, documentating, sorting and GLAM employees.
- Recording: to long for recording, I would better prepare a videotutorial and leave it attached to this session