The media is a proven way of creating awareness and advocating for change in our movement. We have explored different media formats and have achieved results. Another media format we can explore extensively is the radio.
This lightning talk will explore possible ways of using radio shows to attract new Wikipedia readers from countries where access to the internet is quickly growing. This session will also reveal the outcomes of a project that explored this media format, its success and challenges.
Using the Find it on Wikipedia!!! project as a case study, we will learn and make contributions on how we can further harness radio broadcast to attract new Wikipedia readers and create awareness in style.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- Learn how to engage communities towards life long learning opportunities by capturing more Wikipedia readers which addresses Sustainable Development Goal 4.
- It will teach us how to Increase awareness and have more Wikipedia readers which is a step forward towards achieving our strategic direction goal of becoming the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
The session will:
- Evolve more projects that will harness the radio to increase awareness of Wikipedia and attract new readers.
- Improve an IdeaLab proposed project called Find it on Wikipedia Contest!!!
- Recruit community organizers and volunteers for the execution of the project in different regions.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
This lightning talk will require the attendance of community and User Group organizers and every other person with interest.
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Lecture with good audio equipment(s)
- a projector
Everybody can attend
This session is appropriate for filming by a single fixed-location camera, shareable on the internet, with a free-licence.