2019:Health/Improving discovery of medical journal articles
|This is an Accepted submission for the Health space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
Wikipedia is a summary of reliable sources which editors identify and cite. One part of the Wikipedia editorial process is identifying high quality publications and recommending them for inclusion into relevant Wikipedia articles. The general name for this is "research discovery", which is the identification of existing research to improve writing.
In 2018-19 there have been technological, content, and social changes in the Wikimedia platform which promise to change the way that Wikipedia editors find research. Furthermore, the improvements in source discovery which would benefit Wikipedia are applicable to anyone's research process. Using medical literature as an example, this presentation will review the current state of practice, then profile new developments in from a machine learning pilot with Cochrane, the WikiCite project, and the Scholia interface.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
3. good health - this talk is about access to medical information
9. industry - this talk describes how Wikimedia projects are opening up closed commercial monopolies with free access to information
10. reduced inequalities - Wikipedia's medical editors are among its most diverse community, with scientists everywhere in the world. The projects in this talk are driven by multiculturalism and multilingual access.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Participants will be able to describe the discovery process in Wikipedia medical sourcing research
- Participants will be able to describe contemporary trends in data science applied to developing Wikipedia's medical content
- Participants will see demos of new tool interfaces for search
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:22, 30 May 2019 (UTC)
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lightning talk
- Discussion-based training
- Other - I am adaptable.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
projector + screen
- any size audience, no prior skill required
I am ready for recording. A fixed location camera would work. I show huge images on the screen with no detail and which would be understandable even if not in focus.