There are many African language Wikipedias. But some of these languages are not taught in school and many of the speakers do not know how to write them correctly. This poses a problem. It is especially a problem for Wikipedia if the correct spelling is essential to the understanding of written text. 2 Wikipedias that face this challenge are the Wikipedia in Yoruba and the Wikipedia in Twi. We will show what efforts are made to maintain quality standards in the correct use of the languages in these Wikipedias.
Here is the text draft of the presentation.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- The subject helps to provide quality education for neglected languages.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- At the end of the session attendants will have heard about how to overcome the challenge of having communities with non-perfect language skills.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Short Lecture with space for Q&A and discussion
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: projector, classroom
- Audience: no prior knowledge is required for this session
- Recording: Any recording, filming, streaming, distribution is welcome