Wikidata can be used in infoboxes to quickly give a summary of a topic in any supported language. This workshop will cover how they work, and how they can be implemented in different language projects, based on the Wikidata Infobox (and its various components) that is currently used in categories on Wikimedia Commons.
This submission is a follow-up to a series of sessions at previous Wikimanias:
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This session helps to reduce language barriers, which will help with quality education and reducing inequalities.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Learnt about how Wikidata can be used in infoboxes
- Discussed how it can be used in the different Wikimedia projects
- Depending on interest and technical capacity, Wikidata Infoboxes can be made available on more wikis during the session (or shortly afterwards)
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Computer-based training
- Discussion-based training
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
- Roundtable discussion forum
The session will work best with these conditions:
A small classroom, ideally with desks for laptops
Circa 30-50. Prior knowledge of Wikidata will be assumed. Knowledge of advanced wikitext is needed to understand the implementation in detail, but is not necessary for the basics.
Part of the session will be suitable for recording, other parts probably won't be.