|This is an Accepted submission for the Languages space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
Wikidata lexemes have been growing since 2018. We are able to define words, their inflections, meanings and many other "metadata" about them. There are a few tools which we can use both for entry of Wikidata lexemes and for browsing and using the entered data. There may be a lack of lexicographic resources with appropriate licenses. Possibly there is also a lack of coordination across language compared to "normal" Wikidata. What are our opportunities and problems in Wikidata lexemes?
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Goal 4, "Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all" is perhaps most related to Wikidata lexemes. One should think that in the long term Wikidata lexemes will create good quality dictionaries in many different languages that can be used as low-cost educational material worldwide.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Overview of what we have of lexeme data in Wikidata
- Overview of what Wikidata lexemes tools there are
- Overview of resources for Wikidata lexemes
- List of problems with Wikidata lexemes and possible road for solutions
- Wish list for Wikidata lexeme tools
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Finn Årup Nielsen
Session type[edit | edit source]
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: classroom with a projector + screen
- Audience: Wikidata editors and users, linguistics, lexicographers, Wiktionary editors and users
- Recording: Some part of this could be recorded.