2019:Languages/Wikipedia articles translation marathon
This is a Closed submission for Wikimania 2019. It has been reviewed and was not accepted.
Description[edit | edit source]
This is a fun session where the participants will translate a Wikipedia article from any language to any language. We will use the Content Translation extension. No previous experience of translation or Wikipedia editing is required. All languages are welcome: you can translate from a language with a lot of articles to a language with fewer articles or vice versa.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Free access to useful knowledge in a variety of languages helps all people educate themselves. It also promotes intercultural understanding. This session will give people solid, practical, hands-on experience in transferring knowledge between languages. In addition to creating actual Wikipedia articles, the participants will also learn how to organize such events by themselves in the places where they live and work. In particular:
- No poverty (thanks to access to educational materials in your language)
- Good health and well-being (thanks to translated medical materials)
- Quality education (thanks to access to educational materials in your language)
- Reduced inequalities (by reducing the gap between the amount of knowledge accessible in different languages)
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions (thanks to being better informed in your own language about history, cultures, and public policy)
- Partnerships for the goals (The WMF provides tools for translation, but cannot do the translations themselves alone. The content must be translated by volunteers and partners, and this is a good opportunity for translation partners to learn how to translate Wikipedia content.)
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Each participant will publish at least one Wikipedia article (and hopefully more than one).
- Each participant will learn all the features of the Content Translation feature: enabling it; starting a translation; using links, templates, and references; publishing; cleaning up the translation after the publishing.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Computer-based training
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- As many as possible, hopefully at least ten
- Ability to read in one language and write in another language is required for active participation. (Any two languages are good.) If you only know one language, you are nevertheless welcome to observe and learn how to organize such a session where you live or work.
- Not required. It's more about participation than about content.