2019:Partnerships/Ensuring visibility for your country's GLAM institutions on the Wikimedia projects
|This is an Accepted submission for the Partnerships space at Wikimania 2019.|
Title[edit | edit source]
Ensuring visibility for your country's GLAM institutions on the Wikimedia projects
Description[edit | edit source]
Slide deck: On Commons Etherpad notes: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Ensuring_visibility_for_your_countrys_GLAM
The goal of FindingGLAMs, a project by Wikimedia Sverige, is to improve the visibility of the world's GLAM institutions on the Wikimedia projects – especially Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons – so that the resources can be re-used on Wikipedia and also outside the Wikimedia world. One of the means of achieving this is creating a database of the world’s GLAMs on Wikidata. This is an ambitious goal, and an area where we will never run out of work to do.
It also cannot be done without active participation of people from all over the world. We can both use this as an opportunity to leverage existing partnerships and build new ones, engaging more GLAM professionals and educating them about how the Wikimedia projects can benefit their institutions.
In this session, we will share the ways in which you, too, can contribute to the project with data from your country. We will focus on the following:
- What's out there? Identifying GLAM material (data or multimedia) around the world that could be uploaded to the Wikimedia platforms. Why hasn't it – what are the obstacles? How can others help? We invite you to bring examples from your country that you find interesting and think they belong on the Wikimedia projects, as well as of obstacles you or your community has encountered.
- Tools and workflows. We share what we use to work with GLAM material and identify gaps in existing resources that make our work harder. We invite you to think about what you *really* wish existed.
- Beyond Wikimedia. Uploading all this data and resources is great, but it's even better if we can help them make an impact on society. How can we show the benefits of our work to both the GLAMs and the general public? And how can GLAM professionals be involved more directly?
We invite you to bring your own experience from working with GLAMs on the Wikimedia projects, so that you can share it with others.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This resource will help partnerships (SDG 9, 17) with GLAM institutions around the world to form. These partnerships can help reduce inequality and access to knowledge (SDG 4, 5, 10). A better understanding where these institutions are located will help to protect and safeguard them in, for example, a crisis situation.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- The participants will be aware of the different ways in which they can improve GLAM visibility on Wikimedia projects, the support available and how to find it.
- The participants will have learned of examples of successful initiatives, the learnings of which they will be able to implement in their own communities.
- The participants will be aware of major obstacles encountered in this sort of work, and possible solutions, as tried out by others.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Full name 1: Alicia Fagerving
- Full name 2
Usernames[edit | edit source]
- Wikimedia username 1: Alicia_Fagerving_(WMSE)
- Wikimedia username 2
Affiliation/country[edit | edit source]
- Affiliation 1: Wikimedia Sverige
- Affiliation 2
E-mail contact[edit | edit source]
- Email 1: alicia.fagervingwikimedia.se
- Email 2
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Presentation with group discussion
Length of session[edit | edit source]
If other than 20 minutes, specify how long
Supporting work[edit | edit source]
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- A room with tables participants can sit around and a projector
- Max 30, those working with GLAM institutions or doing data/image uploads
- Yes, recording allowed
Interest[edit | edit source]
If you would like to attend this session, please express your interest by signing ~~~~ below
- Rimmel.Edits (talk) 15:49, 9 August 2019 (UTC)
- Sambasoccer27 (talk) 22:56, 10 August 2019 (UTC)
- BNA-PS (talk) 11:26, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- Nemo (talk) 12:26, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- … (you?)