Overview[edit | edit source]
Wikitongues is a community of 1,000+ volunteers in 100+ countries working for all people to have the tools to preserve and sustain their languages for the next generation. Our user group facilitates Wikitongues contribution to Wikimedia projects: in particular, Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Commons.
This Wikimania, join us by contributing your language to the linguistic diversity of Wikimedia projects!
How it works[edit | edit source]
- You visit our recording booth (schedule below)
- One of our contributors records you speaking in your language (we'll work with you to transcribe it later)
- We edit the video and upload it to the Wikimedia Commons and appropriate articles on Wikipedia
- Your video may also appear on our YouTube channel and will be archived permanently at the U.S. Library of Congress
Last Year in Cape Town[edit | edit source]
At the Wikimania 2018 Community Village in Cape Town, we recorded 17 Wikimedians speaking in their mother tongue.
Mahmoud speaking Iraqi Arabic
Roussow speaking Afrikaans
Hasive speaking Bengali
Mohammed speaking Dagbani
Gereon speaking English
Gereon speaking German
Mckensie speaking English
Sam speaking English
William speaking English
Amir speaking Russian and Hebrew
Cahyo speaking Javanese
Netha speaking Malayalam
Ranjith speaking Malayalam
Chabota speaking Nyanja
Iddy speaking Swahili
Josh speaking Tagalog
Nataev speaking Uzbek
Olaniyan speaking Yoruba
Schedule and Location[edit | edit source]
The Wikitongues recording station is located on the sixth floor, in the interpreting booth overlooking Aula Magna.
Friday[edit | edit source]
- 10am - 3pm
- 3pm - 3:30pm - Booth closed for presentation: How to sustain your language online
Saturday[edit | edit source]
- 10am - 11:30am
- 11:30am - 12:15 - Booth Closed for panel discussion: Why indigenous languages matter more (now) and what we can do for them
- 1pm - 4pm
Sunday[edit | edit source]
Sign Up[edit | edit source]
If you would like to reserve a 15-minute time slot in advance, leave your name and preferred time below.