Similar to other Wikipedia, the Indonesian Wikipedia has a featured article process to identify our best works and feature them in the home page. Before 2018, it was selected by yes/no community voting. The tendency of voters to be lax caused the passing of dozens of “FAs” with very low quality. Since late 2018, we implemented a new process which has significantly improved the quality of our featured articles using better rules and processes, modeled from the English Wikipedia FA but adapted to ours due to limited resources. In this presentation we will discuss the problem, why this is important for wikis like ours, our solution, and future directions. We will end the session with a Q&A session where the audience can also provide input and feedback.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Quality: Rigorous and selective FA process should not be restricted to big Wikis like the English Wikipedia. Such process should identify and encourage the best work in any Wikipedia. However, many smaller wikis are often struggling with limited resource, lack of expertise and poor processes. We hope this can help others improve quality in their own Wikipedia.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- The audience understands the problem space
- The audience understands our solution and this will help them find ideas to improve their own Wikipedia
- The audience provides feedback to improve our own (as well as everyone’s) processes
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lightning talk
- Short (30 mins) talk
- Tool or project demonstration: short talks focused on tools
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Small classroom with projector
- Audience: Editors from small or medium Wikipedias interested in improving quality