This is a Closed submission
for Wikimania 2019
. It has been reviewed and was not accepted.
Technology outreach & innovation/Misunderstandings Of Artificial Intelligence
This session attempts to identify and address the fears and misunderstandings surrounding the broad field of machine learning and artificial intelligence in general, and attempts to relieve those fears. It also attempts to give a lightly technical introduction to the field. The lesson it is attempting to teach is AI is not something to be feared of, it is rather something to look forward to.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Artificial intelligence is an animal left out of the box, it is not going back in. It is in people's best interest to know some information about it, in order to not make baseless assumptions on the fledgling technology by using second hand information. AI is picking up pace, is going to create well-paid jobs in the technology sector, and make human life easier. It will al
so be an major driving force of many economies who adopt it early and may add significantly to the GDP. It will help in scientific analysis, efficiently be able to deal with large swathes of data, help in factories while manufacturing bulky goods, and also be able to help humans in other areas, such as financing etc. It will accelerate scientific research and discoveries. Such a versatile invention deserves a chance to be allowed to thrive, and usher humanity towards a more comfortable life.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- A lightly technical overview of AI will be given.
- Advantages and disadvantages of AI will be discussed and given.
- Misunderstandings about the technology will be addressed.
- Sai Pranav Kishan, Student, St. Theresa's School.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lightning talk: An talk about AI and its uses and disadvantages, as well as a few minutes dedicated to the misunderstandings of AI and how to battle such misunderstandings.
- Roundtable discussion: A discussion on the advantages and disadvantages, as well as combating misinformation on the subject.
- Forum: A Q&A session where the session leader is asked questions related to the topic, based on the discussion and lighting talk.
The session will work best with these conditions:
A session time of 60 minutes would be good for this session.
- Room: A large room with a projector and screen, with ample amount of chairs set in an ordered line would be good for the lighting talk. The attendees can rearrange the chairs for the roundtable, and the forum session can run straight from the roundtable format.
- Audience:the maximum of 50 people would be appropriate to participate in this session. The prerequisites are:
The lighting talk will be advantageous if filmed. The roundtable discussion will be hard to give justice via video, hence this content is not to be filmed. The forum would be advantageous however, if filmed.