2019:Thriving in Safety/Addressing The Safety Needs: Collaborative Solutions For Mitigating Risks
|This is an Accepted submission for the Safety space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
Often, Wikimedians from emerging communities and new volunteers who become the victims of bullying and harassment don’t know the right channels to get help. How to make Wikimedians aware about different committees, channels and resources, the Foundation has developed for online and offline safety needs of the Wikimedia community?
Apart from accessibility, how can we ensure the safety needs of the Wikimedians are met in a timely fashion. Are the current committees enough? Do we need something new? Something for different types of online and offline harassment that factor in different cultural, geographical or gender issues which might not be easily understood by the global community?
How to bridge the gap between the harassment victims and T & S team of Wikimedia Foundation? How do we lend a hand as a community to the Wikimedians who need help?
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- 3. Good Health and Well Being
- 4. Quality Education
- 5. Gender Equality
- 8. Decent work and economic growth
- 10. Reduced inequalities
- 11. Sustainable cities and communities
- 16. Peace justice and strong institutions
- 17. Partnerships for the goals
Good health and wellbeing, decent work and economic growth and reduced inequalities are result of a balance of support groups, mental peace and the right information. With the right kind of help at right time, we can achieve wonders and address people who are in need of urgent assistance. This session would be aimed at identifying the gaps in the current structure and brainstorming about the missing puzzles to sustain the community with partnership of volunteer committees and resources of Wikimedia Foundation.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved: At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- The audience would have understood myriads of problem types that Wikimedia community faces at different levels
- Identifying that problem and discussing different solutions
- Collaborative idea sharing about possible future partnerships between experienced members of volunteer community and Wikimedia Foundation T & S team
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
Wikilover90 (talk) 19:55, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
- Roundtable discussion forum
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room (Please be aware that the main room available will be a 30 person board room. We can try and arrange for other rooms, but cannot guarantee success):
a projector + screen