Please have a look at the topics that people want to see in this space before making a submission and describe how your submission connects with those topics.
Mental health is increasingly becoming a subject well talked about subject across the world. This session seeks to give more insights into ways the Wikimedia movement can embrace it and safeguard the sanity of some of it's volunteers. Often times issue's of mental health isn't readily discussed both in the movement and across the world.
Issue's of harassment on and off the wiki can be hard for first time editors and experienced editor's as well hence could pose a challenge to their mental health. We want to use this session to start a conversation around mental health in the Wikimedia movement and get the T & S team in the Wikimedia Foundation on board.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
One of the themes of the Sustainable Development Goals is Health and Well-being.
Our session falls directly under this theme, it also seeks to create a safe haven where people from different parts of the world can feel a sense of belonging in the Wikimedia movement. We aim at using this to create a movement-wide conversation on mental health.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Give the audience an insight into mental health issues and it's related challenges.
- Start a conversation in the movement around the mental health of volunteers in the Wikimedia movements.
- How are some of the measures the Wikimedia movement would like to institute to deal with issues of mental health.
- Get all hands on deck in making sure we are open about issues of mental health in the Wikimedia movement.
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
- Roundtable discussion forum
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room (Please be aware that the main room available will be a 30 person board room. We can try and arrange for other rooms, but cannot guarantee success):
A projector + screen
If possible yes so the conversation can be had movement wide.