2019:Thriving in Safety/Why do Wikimedians need digital security?
|This is an Accepted submission for the Safety space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
A lot of Wikimedians consider digital security as something needed in other spaces - not on the Wikimedia projects. Through my work as a Trust and Safety specialist for the Wikimedia Foundation I have become aware of many different reasons why it is also of high importance onwiki. I will present my learnings in a quick introductory statement to the room and then open the floor up for discussions. This session will not be recorded and photographers will be asked to not take pictures.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner: Feeling safe and secure are important factors for good health and well being. Raising awareness about possible threats online and talking about ways to counter them help support this goal. Making sure the Wikimedia projects are a space where digital security is understood as a need for some contributors also helps to reduce inequalities that are caused by environments that are especially unfriendly for people sharing knowledge openly - e.g. on issues like unpopular facts about the history of one's own country, homosexuality and other serious topics. Digital security is also a factor that helps foster peace and justice and will strengthen institutions in the Wikimedia movement - e.g. ArbComs, the Ombuds Comission, AffCom
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Attendees will have a broader understanding of what digital security means in the Wikimedia movement and why it is necessary.
- Attendees will have shared their ideas and needs and the Trust and Safety Team of the Wikimedia Foundation will have the chance to learn from that.
- Connections will have been made between attendees and the presenter, which will help them support each other in the future.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Christel Steigenberger - Trust and Safety Specialist
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Discussion session with a short introductory presentation
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room (Please be aware that the main room available will be a 30 person board room. We can try and arrange for other rooms, but cannot guarantee success):
Small room suited for discussions
No recording, please!