2019 talk:Sustainable travelling
Nice in theory[edit source]
While this a nice idea in general, there are several other things that can be done on an organisational level:
- Not plan Wikimania around the only Catholic holiday in August 15th (Assumption of Mary). This makes travelling by any mode of transportation on the 14th of August more expensive and more cumbersome.
- Move Wikimania to a month outside of the main travelling season (this has been iterated a few times over the years)
- Making direct flights more viable and therefore saving on emissions mentioned on the front page, not to mention that ticket prices on any mode of transportation are less expensive.
- Making remote participation more viable (reducing the necessity to go there in the first place)
This probably will be all void by the time the 2030 strategy recommendations are being published, but it might be worthwile to come up with ideas on how to cut down on the environmental impact for Bangkok 2020. :-) Braveheart (talk) 11:47, 11 July 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for the input, @Braveheart:! While it is hard for the Wikimania Stockholm organizing team to influence the dates chosen for Bangkok, there were many factors affecting the choice of dates this year. Just one example: Holding the conference later at a university means that the semester has started, which in turn means sharply increased prices, costs we wouldn't have been able to cover with an NGO's budget. But I do totally get what you mean with the impact that has on ticket prices.