2021:Submissions/Excerpts: Modular and Reusable Content within Wikipedia
Speakers[edit | edit source]
Felipe Schenone (User:Sophivorus)
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Reusing content has always been key to our movement: from basic features such as templates and free licenses, to entire projects such as Commons and Wikidata. Reusing content fosters collaboration, reduces maintenance, increases content quality and more.
But what about reusing sections, tables, lists, galleries and other such elements? To this end I developed the Excerpt template, which is now being used in thousands of articles in the English and Spanish Wikipedias, and 16 more Wikipedias are following.
In this talk, I'd like to share this technique with the larger Wikimedia movement, tell a bit about its past and origins, show some of its beautifully varied present usage, and convey some of its huge future potential.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
- You'll learn about a really useful tool for improving pretty much any Wikipedia article
- You'll learn how to increase the impact of your work on Wikipedia
- You'll learn a new way to look at Wikipedia
Video[edit | edit source]
Further discussion[edit | edit source]
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Sounds interesting, looking forward to listening when I get the chance! Wugapodes (talk) 06:07, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- I love the excerpt function! I'll look for the recording of this talk later but I just wanted to say I use it a lot, it's a great tool. But what about featured articles, I guess excerpts cannot really be used there? EMsmile (talk) 12:26, 16 August 2021 (UTC)