2021:Submissions/How Wiki Education Foundation promotes knowledge equity
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Frank Schulenburg
- LiAnna Davis
- Ian Ramjohn
- Jami Mathewson
- Will Kent
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Since 2010, the team behind the Wiki Education Foundation has been supporting university students in the United States and Canada as they edit Wikipedia. Today, we celebrate nearly 100,000 students who've learned to edit Wikipedia through our programs. Wiki Education's program participants are more diverse than the existing editor population in the United States, they're editing content across diverse topics, and — since we bring in 19% of all English Wikipedia's new active editors — we're doing it at a scale to have a real effect on knowledge equity.
In this session, Wiki Education staff will discuss our work:
- How the demographics of our programs are changing the face of Wikimedia contributors in the U.S.
- How our Wikipedia Student Program is diversifying English Wikipedia content
- How targeted partnerships with organizations like 500 Women Scientists, the Society of Family Planning, and more help fill content gaps through our Wikipedia Scholars & Scientists Program
- How our Wikidata Scholars & Scientists Program is training GLAM professionals on how to contribute to and query Wikidata to meet their own diversity, equity, and inclusion needs
- And where we're going in the future.
If you're interested in learning how an organization can promote knowledge equity in the largest Wikimedia project, at scale, this session is for you!
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Understanding knowledge equity in the context of our largest project, English Wikipedia
- Celebrating successes of Wiki Education and its participants
- Creating a shared understanding of the future of Wiki Education
I'm planning to attend live![edit | edit source]
- LiAnna (Wiki Ed) (talk) 23:12, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
- Smallbones (talk) 03:38, 4 August 2021 (UTC)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 14:47, 5 August 2021 (UTC)
- TrudiJ (talk) 17:21, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Garrett Graddy-Lovelace
- Matthewvetter (talk) 18:15, 15 August 2021 (UTC)