2021:Submissions/State of GLAM Wiki in 2021
Speakers[edit | edit source]
- Dominic Byrd-McDevitt: Data Fellow, Digital Public Library of America
- Éder Porto: Products and Resources Manager, Wiki Movimento Brasil
- Érica Azzellini: Communications Manager, Wiki Movimento Brasil
- Fiona Romeo: Senior Manager, GLAM and Culture, Wikimedia Foundation
- Giovanna Fontenelle: Program Officer, GLAM and Culture, Wikimedia Foundation
- Siobhan Leachman: co-organizer of the Wikipedians in Wellington Meetup and the Aotearoa New Zealand Online Meetup
- Susanna Ånäs: GLAM coordinator, Wikimedia Finland/AvoinGLAM
Abstract[edit | edit source]
GLAM is the acronym for Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums. Within the Wikimedia projects, it is very common to find initiatives and partnerships with cultural institutions to help enhance and verify the knowledge available. This sort of project is called GLAM-Wiki and usually involves sharing and uploading heritage and cultural documents and objects, such as books, manuscripts, artworks, and so on, as well as their metadata. Platforms like Wikisource, Wikidata, and Wikimedia Commons are very used by these projects.
During this session, we plan to provide a better explanation of GLAM-Wiki as an area, presenting some of the most important initiatives conducted in different regions of the world. We'll also present some technological developments in the area, in addition to addressing the plans of the Wikimedia Foundation's GLAM and Culture team to understand what are the ideas for this area in the next few months.
Abstracts of each presentation[edit | edit source]
- Siobhan Leachman will give a short presentation on the state of GLAM wiki in New Zealand including a quick overview of the recent history of GLAM engagement by the New Zealand Wiki community. She will outline some of the more influential projects that have taken place, how the COVID pandemic has affected the GLAM wiki movement in New Zealand and the main challenges faced by the New Zealand editing community when engaging with GLAMs
- Éder Porto will give a short presentation about the technical developments and some challenges involved in the Museu do Ipiranga partnership in Brazil, namely the data roundtripping proposal and the metadata applications developed for the Brazilian museum. Éder's video presentation is available at Wikimedia Commons.
- Érica Azzellini will talk about the Wiki Loves Bahia initiative taking place in Brazil to fill knowledge gaps of an underrepresented part of the country while Wiki Movimento Brasil works to spread GLAM resources to support and empower local institutions. Érica's video presentation is available at Wikimedia Commons.
- Susanna Ånäs presents the ideas around the recent activities of AvoinGLAM, Finland in the form of a little manifesto.
- The movement’s partnerships with libraries and cultural institutions have brought in millions of high-quality, evocative images for use across our projects. How do we make sure that the images GLAMs contribute are well described, discoverable, and used to enrich other projects, like Wikipedia and Wikisource? In her presentation, Fiona Romeo will share how the GLAM & Culture team at the Foundation is thinking about visual knowledge.
Session Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Obtain a greater level of understanding of GLAM-Wiki as an area of activities within the Wikimedia projects.
- Get to know some important GLAM-Wiki initiatives organized by community members.
- Understand the GLAM-Wiki priorities for the 2021-2022 period.
- Gain a better understanding of some tools and technologies used in GLAM-Wiki projects.
Presentations[edit | edit source]
- Slides from Fiona Romeo's presentation
- Slides from Éder Porto's presentation
- Slides from Érica Azzellini's presentation
- Slides from Siobhan Leachman's presentation
I'm planning to attend this session live![edit | edit source]
- Garrett Graddy-Lovelace
- Nieszczarda2 (talk) 06:14, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- JLayton (WMF) (talk) 05:30, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Orlysi (talk) 09:22, 14 August 2021 (UTC)
- Tove Ørsted (talk) 09:04, 13 August 2021 (UTC)
- Indrajitdas (talk) 10:38, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- AdaHephais (talk) 13:02, 15 August 2021 (UTC)
- Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 15:31, 15 August 2021 (UTC)