2021:Unconference/100 years of Weather Observations from the Meteorological Service of Canada in Wikimedia Commons
Jump to navigation Jump to search
100 years of Weather Observations from the Meteorological Service of Canada in Wikimedia Commons
- Date: Saturday, August 14, 2021
- Time: 13:00 – 13:30 UTC (9:00 AM - 9:30 AM ) in EDT, see your local time)
- Virtual location: Floor 2, Table A
- Allowed Participants: Any registered users
- Contact : Dirac
- Project page on meta-wiki
Overview[edit | edit source]
Wikimedia Canada received a grant from the Government of Canada to upload 100 years of weather data from 8,756 weather stations across Canada to Wikimedia Commons.
The uploading and sharing of governmental and institutional big data in Commons is, for what we know, a world premiere. This provides a collective workspace with features and computing capabilities for different organizations.
We will explore some of the tools developed and how to improve Wikipedia articles from Canadian locations, in all languages. We want to demonstrate the strong potential of such an approach that could inspire new projects by governments in the open data field.
Topics[edit | edit source]
- Convergence potential for data from government institutions in the Wikimedia ecosystem.
- Link between Wikipedia, Commons and Wikidata to make computation on data and build queries;
- Exploit the data repository (JSON) offered on Commons;
Notes[edit | edit source]
- To be determined
Participants[edit | edit source]
- Miguel Tremblay, Environment and Climate change Canada
- Ha-Loan Phan, Wikimédia Canada
- Pierre Choffet
- Sign up below
- Anon423 (talk) 16:35, 14 August 2021 (UTC)