- Language: Spanish
- Status: Pre-recorded
Nowadays, developing Open Educational Resources is a crucial initiative to promote access to information, knowledge, and culture. In 2022, Wikimedia Chile launched Wiki tools for Cultural Heritage Education, a digital open textbook focused on using Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons for teaching cultural heritage from a participative, collaborative and local perspective.
This session aims to explain the project’s genesis, how it developed, and how it can be applied in the classroom. Moreover, we will provide some examples of how to use it and we will discuss the remaining challenges when teaching cultural heritage in schools.
Learning Outcomes[edit source]
1. Learn about the intersection between Cultural Heritage Education and the Wikimedia projects.
2. Learn about the experience of creating an Open Educational Resource: alliances with other institutions, planning stages, strategies, and design.
3. Learn about the experience of using the Open Educational Resource with educational communities.
4. Achieve tips for generating similar initiatives.
5. Reflect on the importance of open resources such as Wikimedia Commons for generating accessible educational resources.
Head of Education and Digital Literacy of Wikimedia Chile, Rocío Aravena is a History Teacher and Master in Research in Education (University of Barcelona). As part of the Wikimedia Chile staff, she has developed different projects with universities, schools, and teachers to promote the pedagogical use of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and Wikidata. \t