2023:Meetups/Event Organizer Tools Meetup
Feel free to ask the organizers if you have any questions regarding the program.
Event Organizer Tools Meetup[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
Do you organize Wikimedia events, or do you participate in them? We'll be talking about some of the common challenges experienced by Wikimedians who currently organize events, especially events that focus on contributing to the wikis (such as edit-a-thons, writing contests, photo contests, etc). What is working for you? What would you like changed or improved?
Link to the general event page for community office hours: https://w.wiki/7GTc
The Campaigns team from the Wikimedia Foundation will be present, and we'll be taking notes, learning from you, and sharing what we have learned and built so far. Please come and share your perspectives!
Expected type of participants or demographic[edit | edit source]
- Event organizers (especially events that focus on contributing to the wikis)
- People who have attended events in the past and want to share their experiences
- Anyone who has ideas, questions, or thoughts they would like to share related to Wikimedia events
Contact person[edit | edit source]
Date and Time (From hh:mm to hh:mm UTC+8 )[edit | edit source]
Saturday, 19 August 13:45-14:45 - join us for a lunch meetup!
Room[edit | edit source]
Agenda[edit | edit source]
- Introductions! What events do you organize or attend?
- Discussion: What are the biggest challenges you currently face as an event organizer or participant?
- Introduction: Event registration tool (live on Meta-Wiki) and Event discovery project (upcoming)
Are there remote participants dialing in?[edit | edit source]
Interested participants[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Who are teh Campaigns team?
We aim to provide software solutions that empower and support event organizers.
For experienced organisers, we want to simplify their process
For inexperienced organisers, we want to help
We are trying to make campaigns better.
There are 10 things we are trying to make better.
- event registration
- event page creation
- promotional tools
- communication tools
- lists of work to be done
- participation support tools
- improved tracking tools - more accurate tracking results
- next step tools - retention, ensure that they come to future events
- organiser centre - making sure that the organiser knows what tools are available so they can grow as organisers
Started with the event registration tool.
- The tool is now live
- We're working on improving this including a list of questions for event participants to respond to - gender, dietary restrictions etc
Event Registration Project https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Campaigns/Foundation_Product_Team/Registration
Also working on event discovery tool
- How do you currently discover events or promote events?
- How can we improve the experience of discovering and promoting events?
Event Discovery Project https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Campaigns/Foundation_Product_Team/Event_Discovery