This is the perpetual wiki for each of Wikimedia's annual Wikimania conferences, where the host chapter coordinates the content in the wiki. Its purpose is to provide the information relating to forthcoming events, and to record the proceedings of previous Wikimanias.
What you need to know about this wiki:
- For how to edit a wiki, see either this general how to edit page, or the equivalent page at your language Wikipedia.
- Our expectation of the civil and considerate treatment of your fellow contributors.
- Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~).
- Wikimania 2019 will be held at Stockholm University, Sweden, from 14th to 18th August 2019.
||March 2019—Program will feature a series of parallel Spaces each focused on a particular topic, see Program design|
|February 2019—Translations required, see translatable pages and system messages|
Translation pages[edit source]
Do they work okay for you? Happy to take suggestions for change.
Noting that I have Wikimania:Mediawiki pages with translations where I am adding as I go. I have an idea to do some templating with Special:MyLanguage to produce something that pops up language specific, though I may be misunderstanding how the language tricks and transclusions work.
- @Billinghurst: Hey. I have extensive experience with individual page translations, and a small amount with software-string translation at/via translatewiki, but I'm not deeply familiar with the many elements of setting up a new wiki, like you're heroically doing here. I'm learning a lot (mistakes and all!) from what you're up to. ;-)
- Generally it all seems to make sense to me, and I don't currently have any suggestions for process tweaks beyond what I've edited, but I'll let you know if/when I do. Quiddity (talk) 00:04, 12 February 2019 (UTC)
- That makes two!!! Not having a lot of visibility allows for a little trial and error. I am flying by the seat of my pants, as you know lots of wiki, though less so christening a fully-fledged wiki, lots of admin, bits of mw: ns, little translations; so don't be afraid to offer suggestions. — billinghurst sDrewth 03:55, 12 February 2019 (UTC)
Welcome template[edit source]
I have done some basic text for the translated welcome message, and my thoughts are to have extra active templates contained. Earlier, I put some thoughts at User_talk:Eric_Luth_(WMSE)#Welcome message for users, and I am thinking that it is time we can start working on this aspect as people are now starting to appear.
To note that I was trying to avoid substituting welcome templates as I think that they are not likely to be archived, and more likely to sit on talk pages, so some active component may have people at least view them (which may be wishful thinking). If this is an agreed path, then I was going to set up a shared bot on tools to do the message welcome (thinking to imaginatively call wikimania-bot). — billinghurst sDrewth 00:42, 3 March 2019 (UTC)
- @Billinghurst: That sounds interesting and useful. I've not heard of a welcome template being used in that way before (as a kind of "dashboard" for possible todo-tasks), but it makes good sense, especially on this wiki. The 5 points you outline there sound like they could be done succinctly enough to not be overwhelming, so +1 to giving it a go.
- (Whilst you're here...) I see Eric has replied at Wikimania talk:Page structure, I think to both of us (as I was basically supporting and extrapolating on your earlier ideas). I'll try to respond there tomorrow. Cheers. Quiddity (talk) 00:21, 5 March 2019 (UTC)
- @Billinghurst: I also like that idea (with the welcome template). I just wonder how we should move forward from here? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 09:38, 5 March 2019 (UTC)
- @Mr Beoy: That user (Julle) is my friend and also my work colleague. As you can see (per your edit) I was simply copyediting the page. There are no rules against copyediting someone's userpage. Please be more careful about jumping to hasty conclusions. Thank you. Quiddity (talk) 16:29, 11 May 2019 (UTC)