Wikimania:Expressions of Interest/2025/Nairobi, Kenya
Expression of interest: Nairobi, Kenya[edit source]
In a few sentences tell us about your submissions. What made you and your community want to host the next Wikimania?
Wikimedia Community User Group Kenya, would like to host Wikimania 2025 in the Capital Nairobi, Kenya. This will be a great opportunity to bring the world to East Africa and the third time in Africa for Wikimania. It will be also an opportunity to explore and learn about Kenya and Eastern Africa and more about the African continent.
Who is submitting this expression of interest? List individuals or groups.
|Planning and Organising lead||User:Cmwaura|
|Planning and Organising Lead||User:Jadnapac|
|Communication||User:Ms Kabintie Terry Boke|
|WMF Liason||Mehrdad & User:Ms Kabintie|
Interested community groups do not need to have a venue selected, contracts drafted or sponsors lined up. This is why we are starting the process early. Please provide solid information about the points below to help our decision making. We will be taking into account various factors about potential sites and hosts especially the cost, accessibility, security, global rotation of Wikimania, and the strength of the organizing team. We hope to announce the location of the 2024 Wikimania by March, 2023. If you are interested in hosting a Wikimania in 2025 or later, you can submit your expression here as well.
Venue + lodging[edit source]
A few Top options for both Conferencing and accommodation facilities
- Nairobi Serena Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton
- Movenpick Hotel
- Trademark Hotel
Travel + visas[edit source]
- Kenya is quite accessible and information about visa requirements can be found here
Facilities + services[edit source]
Safety + security[edit source]
Alternate locations[edit source]
- August 2025
Any other details that you think would be helpful for the Wikimania Steering Committee.
We kindly invite you to endorse our bid to host Wikimania 2025 in our East Africa region. Please remember to put your signature after your endorsement by placing four tildes ~ at the end of your endorsement or alternatively, you can just click the signature icon on your editing menu.
- Support I strongly endorse that Wikimania 2025 happen in East Africa, Kenya in particular. This will be a historical Wikimania to ever happen in the East Africa region and for the second time in Africa since 2018 in South Africa. It will be a great opportunity for African Wikimedians and Wikimedians across the globe at large to convene, network, collaborate share experiences and further explore the potential of Africa as far as the future of the Wikimedia movement is concerned.Karibuni Afrika! Jadnapac (talk) 16:19, 26 April 2023 (UTC)
- Support Musindi250 (talk) 10:35, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support This is a very good suggestion and action in the right direction. I hope to see this in reality. Kariboni Wikimedians to Kenya: the Pride of Africa in 2025. James Moore200 (talk) 11:21, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support - All progressive African wikimedians are solidly behind this bid, we are confident of the capacity of this East Africa alliance to deliver a most amazing conference. The diverse wildlife and serenity of Kenya makes for a perfect location. No doubt this will be a most memorable conference.--Wilson (talk) 11:52, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support I am confident in the capability of this community to successfully host the conference. Ruby D-Brown (talk) 13:00, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support I support this move to bring Wikimania to Africa again. Wikimania in Kenya will grow more opportunities for opening up knowledge about Africa by Africans. On the other hand, Kenya has great natural tourist attractions that visitors from all over the world would really enjoy. Most importantly, the core organizing team are deeply entrenched Wikimedians that have the capabilities to organize a memorable conference. AfricanLibrarian (talk) 22:17, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support I am confident in the capability of kenya to successfully host the wikimania conference 2025 in the east Africa. Ogalihillary (talk) 22:23, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support This is a great proposal which will ensure inclusivity and diversity we yearn for in the movement if granted. Africa needs to catch up with the growing knowledge space and I believe that Wikimania in Kenya is a great way to build strong capacity, awareness and knowledge ecosystem in Africa. Obuezie (talk) 05:29, 12 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support -Masssly (talk) 08:00, 12 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support - XR98 (talk) 09:06, 12 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support Rose ugwoke (talk) 05:18, 12 May 2023 (UTC)[reply] Rose ugwoke (talk) 16:19, 12 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support - TheJackNation (talk) 11:00, 13 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support I am confident in the capability of kenya to successfully host the wikimania conference 2025 in the east Africa. Jeremyida002 (talk) 22:23, 11 May 2023 (UTC)
I'm happy that this conference is been brought to Africa.i thereby endorse the movement.Viva33 (talk) 18:47, 13 May 2023 (UTC)
- Support I am confident in the capability of kenya to successfully host the wikimania conference 2025 in the east Africa.Stephanie Cheks(talk) 22:23, 11 May 2023 (UTC)