2019:Advocacy/Free Speech vs. Hate Speech
|This is an Accepted submission for the Advocacy space at Wikimania 2019.|
Title[edit | edit source]
Free Speech vs. Hate Speech
Description[edit | edit source]
The presentation will focus on how Wikimedia projects edited by volunteers preserve the freedom of speech and when this asset become a source of hate and discrimination. In fact, we will try to evaluate the size of hate speech inside the Wikimedia movement and then we will present solutions and tips to struggle against this phenomenon.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- The free speech inside an open movement as Wikimedia can reduce inequalities. All contributors are concerned by the big issues and can share their thoughts freely to build their common future.
- Preventing the hate speech can ensure peace and justice among users and make Wikimedia movement stronger. Hate messages are source of conflicts and can break the harmony inside single entity.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Knowing the free speech, the hate speech and the difference between them.
- Analyzing factors leading to hate speech in our community.
- Providing tips and solutions to prevent hate speech.
- Initiating discussion between attendees regarding the free speech and the hate speech inside the movement.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
Usernames[edit | edit source]
Affiliation/country (if any)[edit | edit source]
- Wikimedia TN User Group and AffCom
E-mail contact (optional)[edit | edit source]
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
I need projector + screen.
All kinds of attendees are welcome
Content of this session is appropriate for filming by a single fixed-location camera, sharable on the internet, with a free-licence.