Public policy meetup at Wikimania 2018
Wikimedia 2030 Advocacy Working Group gathers feedback at Wikimedia Summit
Welcome to the homepage for the Advocacy space at Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm!
Wikimedia doesn't exist in a vacuum, so how do we create the legal/policy environment for flourishing free knowledge now and in the future? How can we make access to knowledge better on a systemic level as global community? We aim to host a space for experts, academics, policy-makers, community leaders, and anyone with a curiosity about law, policy, and advocacy to come together to work on answers to this broad question.
Co-leaders for this space include:
For more any questions about the Advocacy space, please contact email@example.com
See the list of events:
For some more information on advocacy within the Wikimedia movement, please see the following resources:
Additionally, Wikimania 2019 is themed around the United Nation's Sustainable Development Goals. The Advocacy space leaders have identified the following seven goals as relating to advocacy within the Wikimedia movement:
Topics recommended by proposers and space leaders[edit | edit source]
- We hope to explore a broad range of topics relevant to advocacy in the Wikimedia movement during our sessions. Our two-day program will be built on sessions which discuss both the process of engaging in advocacy within our movement ("HOW") and the specific legal, structural, and political issues we advocate about in our movement ("WHAT"). We are particularly interested in sessions which discuss:
- Legal and policy trends affecting the access to knowledge and Wikimedia
- How to build capacity within local communities interested in advocacy, and other practical issues
- How regional differences play a part in advocacy campaigns
- Traditionally identified policy priorities such as: copyright, access, censorship, intermediary liability, and privacy; as well as emerging policy areas such as: misinformation, hate speech, digital literacy, and machine learning/AI
- Please add topics as you see fit!