2019:Advocacy/Towards Knowledge Equity through Accessibility
|This is an Accepted submission for the Advocacy space at Wikimania 2019.|
Title[edit | edit source]
Towards Knowledge Equity through Accessibility
Description[edit | edit source]
To achieve Knowledge Equity, Wikimedia needs to continue its work to make the internet an inclusive space. Standing on the shoulders of giants, the Wikimedia communities have been at the forefront of making our content inclusive with their own ethical outlines and guidelines. With possible legal requirements ahead and more complex interfaces and media types developing, we need to ensure that we understand and address a wide range of user needs in order to be as inclusive as possible.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
The session addresses the following questions:
- What is the current state of accessibility of the Wikimedia projects – on interface and information level?
- Under current technical limitations and critical resources perspective what support is within our movement's reach?
- What are future legal requirements and what is the state of play?
- How can Wikimedia work towards better accessibility of government works and information?
The session convenes design and legal experts to discuss the role of accessibility in Wikimedia's movement strategy and it contribution towards the SDGs.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- Volker E., Wikimedia Foundation, Lead User-Interface Standardization project and web accessibility
- Susanna Laurin, Chief Research and Innovation Officer at Funka, a European based market leading consultancy focusing on accessibility and usability.
Usernames[edit | edit source]
- Volker E. (WMF)
E-mail contact (optional)[edit | edit source]
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Presentation with audience Question & Answer session
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: For 20-40 people
- Audience: No prior knowledge is needed. However, we plan to provide basic overview collection upfront.
- Recording: Possible and welcome!