Diversity and sources. Recording of the session.
Creating diversity by providing access to good sources[edit | edit source]
I want to talk about the fact that much is being done to raise awareness about the diversity issues on the wiki-projects and to include voices that have not previously been included. But then it often stops there because the sources do not exist or are not readily available. In what way does this characterize the content on the various wiki-projects and reproduce old structures? I will present some outcomes of the work that I have been doing in collaboration with Wikimedia Norway, Wikimedia Armenia and National Archives of Norway. The goal of the project was to digitalize, transcript and translate the image collection of the Norwegian missionary Bodil Biørn, who was active in Armenian areas in the Ottoman Empire before, during and after the genocide of the Armenians. I will use this project as an example of a successful collaboration between Wikimedia chapters and other institutions where the objective is to bring in to light a woman that had nearly been forgotten by time.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development G
oals — in the following manner:
This session will touch upon these themes: 5-"Gender equality" in terms of focusing on what can be done to make good sources available for those who want to write about women on the wiki-projects, and 17-"Partnerships for the goals" where I'll be asking questions about what institutions can we collaborate with to achieve the goal of diversity on the wiki-projects and how should we go about doing this?
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Awareness around the challenges that comes with the lack of good sources when writing about women on Wikipedia
- Awareness around possible solutions to these challenges (through brainstorming)
- People will have been introduced to a project where the collaboration between Wikimedia chapters and an institution has been successful and may be inspired to go through with something similar themselves
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
30 minutes. I was thinking I could talk for 15 min, and then have a 15 min brainstorming session.
The session will work best with these conditions:
- No prior knowledge
- No specific number appropriate
- This session is to my knowledge appropriate for filming by a single fixed-location camera, sharable on the internet, with a free-licence