Diversity/Wiki LGBT+ meetup
Curie · 14:45 - 15:30
Wikimedia LGBT+ meetup
This meeting is the annual in-person Wikimedia LGBT+ meetup. The meeting has 3 parts -
- Brief introductions from attendees to promote collaboration
- Showcase of outcomes of LGBT+ projects in the last year
- Statements of present challenges and wishes to promote LGBT+ interests
- Plans for next steps to take this learning and bring it back to our communities
This meeting will be documented in text. The intent of publishing shared notes is to create a publication record for any individual who wants to list themselves publicly as an advocate for Wiki LGBT+, to promote project outreach in hopes of finding collaborators and readers, and to contribute to the documentation of challenges on which basis we seek to improve Wikimedia for LGBT+ content and contributors.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- 3 - "good health and wellbeing" - this presentation will profile Wikipedia's audience traffic on LGBT+ health issues and describe why this matters
- 5 - "gender equality" - Wikipedia is the most popular channel by means of which the world accesses basic information and definitions of LGBT+ issues
- 8 - "decent work and economic growth" - the major global challenge for LGBT+ people is still equal access to work without discrimination. This talk will discuss Wikipedia's impact on creating acceptance for the LGBT+ community.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Created a publication record of individuals, projects, and concerns for global consideration
- Demonstrated the standard of inviting people to speak in public meetings while still maintaining their privacy, if they request it
- Provided in-person and on-line access to the social network of people engaged in Wiki LGBT+ projects or concerns
- Connected Wikimedians who can attend Wikimania with tangible next steps they can bring back to their diverse and disperse communities.
- Chair --Shikeishu (talk) 14:31, 13 June 2019 (UTC)
- Notes -- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:29, 6 June 2019 (UTC)
- Connector across the LGBT+ User Group -- FULBERT (talk) 03:06, 26 June 2019 (UTC)
- (your name here - also please add agenda items)
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Roundtable discussion forum
- There is a Wikimedia LGBT+ organization, the LGBT+ User Group! Join if you like!
- Monthly video chat meetings (take the poll to vote for the day and time of the September meeting)
- Mailing list
- Telegram group
- Participates as a Wikimedia affiliate organization for a global community connected across LGBT+ equity and Wikimedia Projects
- briefly (20 seconds) -
- name, wikiname, pronoun
- country or affiliate
- Sharing events and projects
- Wiki Loves Pride: this is the campaign for anyone to organize local LGBT+ events, whenever your local community has an LGBT+ holiday; who celebrates this and how?
- What Wikimedia projects around LGBT+ topics do you know that happened in the past year?
- What projects do you plan for next year?
- To remain in good standing as a Wikimedia affiliate, we have to do some reporting
- We need simple reports of LGBT+ events around the world
- We all collectively share in LGBT+ programs
- Wikimedia UK presents a grant proposal to fund a global LGBT+ administrator
- Among other things, this person would offer to support LGBT+ wiki programs in publishing on-wiki documentation
- Many LGBT+ events happen worldwide; only some get reported, and fewer get organized for everyone to browse and share
- Wikimedia Strategy 2030 -- What does this mean for LGBT+ members of Wikimedia projects?
- Wikidata gender problem
- Wiki LGBT+ regularly gets reports of tension
- challenges include discrimination, safety risks for LGBT+ community organizing, conflicts with the manual of style around gender and sexuality
- What is coming up in 2020 that can help connect our global Wiki LGBT+ community?
- In-person / Online meetings planned?
- In-person / Online meeting ideas?
- Wikimedia Austria might like to host a strategic LGBT+ meetup either in Austria or online? (suggested in meeting) with more information here.
- Brief items
- Mention issues
- Document them here in notes
- We welcome anyone who can briefly describe a problem, make a note here, then meet others to talk about it more deeply
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Know the code of conduct before you attend. Respect privacy of those who request it.
Join the text note-taking for this event.
There will be a group photo for those who want to join.
This event will not have video or audio recording, and privacy will be protected to those who request or desire it.