Education/Contextualizing Wikimedia in education: Creating a Roadmap to becoming a Wiki in Education Leader
Yousafzai · Sunday 14:00 - 15:30
Contextualizing Wikimedia in education: Creating a Roadmap to becoming a Wiki in Education Leader
||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)
||Role, website or any other details you'd like to share
|Melissa Guadalupe Huertas
||Program Officer, Education
||Wikipedia & Education User Group
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem - 60 min
Understanding the challenges and opportunities in your local education sector is an important first step to strategically integrate Wikimedia projects as education tools in your area. This workshop will present practical exercises and discussions that will allow participants to conduct an "educational needs assessments" prior to introducing Wikimedia projects in their local contexts. We will work through creating a personalized roadmap to becoming a Wiki in Education leader, and reaching your own set goals. This workshop will assist participants with tools to strategically think about their local education contexts and the opportunities that Wikimedia education projects provide to foster 21st century skills for students.
Who is this session for?
The session is meant for:
- Anyone who is just starting out in Education and would like to have some guidance
- Experienced Wikimedians, who can work creating a roadmap that will focus on scaling their existing efforts, as well as share their experience with newcomers
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This workshop connects Wikimedia projects to SDG 4 as tools to advance quality education.
At the end of the session, the following will have
- Participants will be able to make educational needs assessments of their local contexts to successfully integrate Wikimedia projects in the education field.
- Participants will be able to approach Wikimedia education projects as interventions that respond to particular education needs and opportunities in their communities.
- Participants will create a personalized roadmap to becoming a Wiki in Education leader which will assist them in strategizing their local Wikimedia education projects.
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Recording: Depending on consent from participants