This is a sample submission for Wikimania 2019
Including minority languages in Wikimedia projects, a strategic approach to teach
This presentation will provide a strategic approach for including minority languages in Wikimedia projects. It will show how a project contributed to the revival of the Shawi language through Wikimedia projects (voice recordings, Wiktionary workshops, Wikidata inclusion, Commons downloads, Wikimedia-based Shawi language MOOCC, course).
Some critical issues include:
- Partnerships with like-minded institutions and organizations (Lingualibre, Zerfa Chaouie Québec Cultural Association, Anzar Edition, University of Biskra and Batna, etc.)
- Creating a strategy and relation for development Commons, Wiktionary, Wikidata-based and Wikiversity
- Set up courses existing activities in multiple languages
- The importance of uploading images and recording lessons and including them in articles from Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikiversity and Wikidata, etc.
This is meant to be a participatory and interactive session, so a portion of the time will be dedicated to hearing from attendees about their experiences and needs. We welcome other collaborators to get in touch with their case studies and examples.
- Ahmed Houamel - Teacher in primary school and preschool 5 years, Volunteer, Coordinator group user Wikimedia Algeria, founder group user Wikimedia Tamazight, member Wikimedia Canada
- Reda Kerbouche - Affiliation Committee (AffCom) member,Volunteer, Coordinator group user Wikimedia Algeria, founder group user Wikimedia Tamazight
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and Development Goals — in the following manner:
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
How to set up efficiently a program to teach minority languages content with Wikimedia projects (involve language speakers, sound recording, massively upload on commons, Wikiversity, Wikidata integration, reuse within Wikipedia and Wiktionary, Wikimedia based language courses and MOOCs ).
- User group Wikimedia Algeria, User group Wikimedia Tamazight, Wikimedia Canada
- User group Wikimedia Algeria, User group Wikimedia Tamazight, Affiliations Committee
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lecture - 25 min (20 min + 5 min for questions)
Length of session (if other than 20 minutes, specify how long)[edit | edit source]
20 minutes for presentation and 5 min for questions
Supporting work (optional)[edit | edit source]
(Feel free to provide links to existing work related to your session- wiki pages, web sites, blog posts, presentations, Youtube videos, social media. This may help the program committee determine session selections.)
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Any type of room with projector
- Recording: Yes, recording allowed