The purpose of the remote session throughout Wikimania would be to provide mechanisms by which on-site attendees can interact with remote attendees and vice-versa, as well as for remote attendees to interact amongst themselves. The basic setup would be for the remote session to be primarily online, but with a physical representation (think a dedicated table) in the Environmental sustainability space. While some of its functionality may thus be bound to these physical representations, most of its functionality is envisaged to be available throughout the event and in any time zone, possibly with a bit of additional time before or after the on-site event.
The motivation for having a remote session has multiple components: it can
- facilitate the participation of some who might not otherwise be able to attend
- support interactions beyond the boundaries of the on-site sessions
- focus, bundle and otherwise enhance the existing on-wiki communication channels on a topic
- help improve documentation of Wikimania-related activities
- enhance the ratio of community versus environmental impact
- save travel budgets and time at the global level
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
The session increases community impact while minimizing environmental impact.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Documentation of Wikimania-related activities in a way that is accessible on-site and online
- by remote attendees
- by on-site attendees
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Ongoing remote session — similar to the traditional unconference area on-site, but implemented online
The session will work best with these conditions:
- on-site: a table that is equipped — at least for some of the time — with two or more computers that allow online and on-site participants to interact
- Anyone attending live (online or on-site) or later
- Live stream of Wikimania events
- Shared notes via Etherpads et al.
- Mechanisms for remote participants to share ideas, posters, videos, observations etc.
- Please submit this to the community village. --Gnom (talk) 08:49, 14 July 2019 (UTC)