The Wikimania Hackathon 2019 will have a mentoring program aimed at welcoming and supporting newcomers to the Wikimedia projects, newcomers to Wikimedia Hackathons or any folks who would like support or advice on getting starting with a project or learning about our technology.
We will have a structured orientation morning just after the hackathon opening. Newcomers will attend an orientation session followed by a mentor matching session and finally a project matching session. If you miss these sessions you are also welcome to approach the Technical Help Desk in the main hackathon space where you can get help and guidance throughout the entire hackathon.
Mentoring Resources[edit | edit source]
First Wikimedia hackathon? Read this![edit | edit source]
- Detailed "What is a Hackathon" overview: Information for Participants
- Three steps to prepare for this hackathon as a newcomer (page coming soon)
- Do you have any questions? Would you like to introduce yourself? Join us on Wikimedia Space! login by going to https://discuss-space.wmflabs.org and clicking the "Sign Up" or "Log In". Use your Phabricator account to authenticate.
Helpful Flowchart for your first day![edit | edit source]
Mentoring Tips and tricks[edit | edit source]
If you want to dive deeper into the world of MediaWiki, see Hackathons/Participants#Where can I find more information?
Newcomer resources[edit | edit source]
- Technical areas overview https://w.wiki/75q
- Newcomer friendly sessions & workshops https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Hackathon/program
- Participants https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Hackathon/Participants
- How to Contribute https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute
- New Developers https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Developers
- Good First Bug https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Good_first_bugs
- Developer Support https://discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org/
Mentoring Organizers[edit | edit source]
Organizers of this year's mentoring program are André Costa, Johan Jonsson, Srishti Sethi, Tonina Zhelyazkova, Ciell and Rachel Farrand with online help from Aaron Halfaker, Christoph Fischer & Chris Koerner who are not attending.