Wiktionaries are textually documenting languages. The number of items documented is already in the hundreds thousands to millions, depending on Wiktionaries. Yet, languages, words, expressions, spontaneously include orality which is poorly represented. We here want to record languages vocabulary at large scales, in an easy and quick fashion (the wiki-wiki way). LinguaLibre.fr was create for this purpose : massive and rapid audio recording. The tool has 3 strategic objectives :
- record to document, study, teach, protect minority languages, thus preserving access to pools of traditional human knowledge
- record to ease macro languages learning and access to higher, world class educations
- record to ease the creation of text to speech systems, which helps populations with sight issues to better access knowledge.
After one year of action and 150,000+ recordings, we would like to spread the word of this interesting and impactful tool.
This session will addre
ss the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
SDG 4 "Quality education" includes the "promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity".
SDG 10 "Reduced inequalities" call for more even access to resources, finance and knowledge. We hope to increase the interest in and learning of minority languages and their cultural dynamism.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Reminder of why, what, how of the tool.
- The public is mentored to connect to LinguaLibre.fr, create an account, and use the recording wizard.
- The public will be ready to use the tool independantly.
- The public will receive general guidelines for their future obstables and how to tacle them.
||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)
||Role, website or any other details you'd like to share
||Global community relations
||National and academic relations
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Computer-based training - 45 min : "Create your first audio-recordings for your massive audio database"
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: projector, large screen, computers.
- Recording: No. this is "learning by doing".