Wiktionaries are textually documenting languages. The number of items documented is already in the hundreds thousands to millions, depending on Wiktionaries. Yet, languages, words, expressions, spontaneously include orality which is poorly represented. We here want to record languages vocabulary at large scales, in an easy and quick fashion (the). LinguaLibre.fr was create for this purpose : massive and rapid audio recording. The tool has 3 strategic objectives :
- record to document, study, teach, protect minority languages, thus preserving access to pools of traditional human knowledge
- record to ease macro languages learning and access to higher, world class educations
- record to ease the creation of text to speech systems, which helps populations with sight issues to better access knowledge.
After one year of action and 150,000+ recordings, we would like to spread the word of this interesting and impactful tool.
This session will addre
ss the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
SDG 4 "Quality education" includes the "promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity".
SDG 10 "Reduced inequalities" call for more even access to resources, finance and knowledge. We hope to increase the interest in and learning of minority languages and their cultural dynamism.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Clarifies objectives (why) and method of do it (how)
- Spread knowledge of the tools existence (what)
- Public can go to LinguaLibre.fr, self-train, contribute or spread the news.
- The public will learn which efforts paid off in the Wikimedia France context
Note: this will be our most general presentation.
||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)
||Role, website or any other details you'd like to share
||Global community relations
||National and academic relations
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lecture - 20+5 min : "LinguaLibre.fr : first year of rapid and massive recording"
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: projector or large screen