This is a Closed submission for Wikimania 2019. It has been reviewed and was not accepted.
Description[edit | edit source]
Wiktionaries are textually documenting languages. The number of items documented is already in the hundreds thousands to millions, depending on Wiktionaries. Yet, languages, words, expressions, spontaneously include orality which is poorly represented. We here want to record languages vocabulary at large scales, in an easy and quick fashion (the). LinguaLibre.fr was create for this purpose : massive and rapid audio recording. The tool has 3 strategic objectives :
- record to document, study, teach, protect minority languages, thus preserving access to pools of traditional human knowledge
- record to ease macro languages learning and access to higher, world class educations
- record to ease the creation of text to speech systems, which helps populations with sight issues to better access knowledge.
After one year of action and 150,000+ recordings, we would like to spread the word of this interesting and impactful tool.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will addre ss the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
SDG 4 "Quality education" includes the "promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity".
SDG 10 "Reduced inequalities" call for more even access to resources, finance and knowledge. We hope to increase the interest in and learning of minority languages and their cultural dynamism.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Reminder of why, what, how of the tool.
- The public will learn which efforts paid of in the Wikimedia France context
- The public and presenters will raise and explore avenues for better development.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
|Full Name*||Email address*||Wikimedia Username (if you have one)||Affiliation||Country||Role, website or any other details you'd like to share|
|Hugo Lopezemail@example.com||Yug||Example||France||Global community relations|
|Lucasfirstname.lastname@example.org||Lyokoi||Example||France||National and academic relations|
|Mahuton Possoupeemail@example.com||Mah3110||Example||Bénin/France||Mobile UI|
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Panel with audience Question & Answer session - 45 min : "LinguaLibre.fr : main challenges, working solutions ? How we encourage language recording."
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: projector, large screen.
- Audience: 20-30
- Recording: Yes.