Presentation slides (For PPTX, click here
Nowadays, digital and offline libraries involve many important high-scale resources (such as books, scholarly journals, newspapers and encyclopedias) that can be used to support the information involved in Wikipedia. The Wikimedia and Library User Group members have been aware about this matter and created many initiatives (1Ref1Lib and The Wikipedia Library) to let librarians involved in Wikimedia movement.
These initiatives have limitations:
- In many developing countries, librarians lack computing skills and cannot significantly participate in these interesting initiatives
- These initiatives are not used to support user group-led projects
- There are many topics that can be only supported by offline references.
That is why we developed a library outreach method that can be used to support projects of Wikimedia user groups. In this brief presentation, I will explain the library outreach method we developed for Wikimedia TN User Group and discuss it using a detailed literature review. Finally, I will show its practical efficiency through a case study of the application of our method on MedinaPedia Sfax, a project for ameliorating the coverage of the heritage of the Medina of Sfax, and show how the outreach between libraries and user groups can be useful for ameliorating the quality of the contributions of user groups to Wikimedia projects.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
This session is significantly related to providing quality education to people (Goal 4). Effectively, when user groups succeed their projects, they will provide further detailed information about their topic of interest allowing people to learn more about it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1255757/.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Attendees will learn more about the requirements and method of outreach between Wikimedia user groups and libraries.
- Attendees will learn more about how library outreach can be useful to ameliorate the quality of the final output of user group-led projects.
Video on Commons
- Houcemeddine Turki, Wikimedia TN User Group and Wikimedia and Libraries User Group Steering Committee
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Internet connection because I can remotely present the session
- Audience: This session can be presented to a small or large audience.
- Recording: Required so that we can further disseminate the project after Wikimania