We, Wikimedia Sverige, are running a project with all the libraries in Sweden, with the aim to introduce librarians to the wikimedia world in a digital environment. To do this we are building a part of a digital platform where courses, lectures, tests and other educational material is gathered, and we are going to train the trainers at libraries.
The idea of this session goes two ways:
- As parts of this have been done before, we want your best ideas in what material to include, your best pages and resources to link to, and your thoughts on how to put things in the right order.
- As we are doing this, and we want people to use it, what can we do to reach further than the rather small community of librarians fluent in Swedish. What would make it useful in your language and among your community and crowd of librarians. Are there different cultures that needs to be addressed or can a tool like this work all over the world.
Following a short introduction we will use post-its, colored pens, huge sheets of paper and other creative tools to capture everything that we need as the hard work continues during the fall.
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- We will have a better understanding of what librarians wants to know and what has been done before in other parts of the world.
- Other affiliates and partners will know about our project and what we are doing, and can use and adopt the resulting material to their local activities.
Video on Commons
Axel Pettersson (WMSE)
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Room with tables and wall space to put post-its
- Audience:N/A, audience can be divided in smaller groups during discussions. Librarians and users who have worked with librarians are extra welcome.
- Time requested: 45-60 minutes