Behind the scenes of the Odia Wikipedia how-to video tutorials
Most Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects have a very little focus on building educational content for new contributors. It's time to recognize the lack of such resources as a movement-level gap that affects bringing new blood in the community. Though simply having the user guides does not solve the issues of sustainability of new editors, it is a good starting point.
The Odia Wikimedians User Group started working shyly on a project to create video tutorials for the new editors. Though providing good quality user guide was always a focus for the community since the very beginning, video tutorials were never given too much of importance and hence there were only a handful of those because of the interest of a few Wikipedians.
The idea to create some good quality short video tutorials was discussed in 2016 and then later got emphasized by a relatively new Wikipedian User:Soumendrak in early 2019. The project is shaping up with an emphasis on storytelling and not just a guide with on-screen action. People, after all, are in the core of the Wikimedia movement.
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Participants will get to learn about the process of creating educational resources (particularly OERs) for their own communities—
- Brainstorming to create script,
- Talent hunt,
- Release and
- How to incorporate storytelling while dealing with technology in the context of creating multimedia OERs for Wikimedians
- How to make your work future-proof
- Subhashish Panigrahi
- Soumendra Kumar Sahoo
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- Goal 4: Quality Education (direct)
- Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth (indirect)
- Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities (direct)
- Goal 17: Partnerships For The Goals (indirect)
The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Technology-based training
The session will work best with these conditions:
Projector and projection screen/blank wall; decent internet for a Q&A session in case the presenter is presenting remotely
- Wikimania 2019: Digital Support Librarian Lauren Smith reports on her first-time attendance at Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm, Sweden. 21 August 2019
If you would like to attend this session, please express your interest by signing ~~~~ below