2019:Multimedia knowledge/Collaborative Video Editing - Finally a Reality!
|This is an Accepted submission for the Multimedia space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
VideoWiki (https://videowiki.wmflabs.org/en), aims to make Wikipedia more accessible by adding a visual layer to Wikipedia, ensuring that in the future, the 'sum of all human knowledge' is not limited to just text. VideoWiki is a free, open-source, 'collaborative video editing' tool that allows users to drag and drop images/videos from Wikimedia Commons onto Wikipedia text
As per WMF Research 2030, lack of multi-media content was identified as one of the four "knowledge gaps" on Wikipedia.  Further, multimedia content was the second most frequent request during the 2015 community consultation on strategy.  Furthermore, WMF New Readers Research 2016 found that there may be greater opportunities to improve interest in and engagement with Wikipedia articles with more ro bust video content.
What sets VideoWiki apart from other/previous attempts of bringing videos on Wikipedia is that it allows users to collaboratively edit/re-edit a published video, a feature that is particularly important because information presented in Wikipedia is continuously corrected, updated and improved by a distributed volunteer community.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Overview of VideoWiki
- Features of VideoWiki - Adding Human Voice over, etc.
- Development RoadMap of VideoWiki
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
- SDG 3 - Quality Health and Well-being - VideoWiki is working with WikiProjectMed Foundation to improve access to reliable healthcare information for people with low literacy (low ability to read Wikipedia)
- SDG 4 - Quality Education - By adding a visual layer to Wikipedia, VideoWiki enables users to access information in different mediums.
- SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure - VideoWiki's tool enables collaborative video editing on Wikipedia for the first time.
Session type[edit | edit source]
The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Lightning talk
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
A projector + screen required to visually demo VideoWiki's interface
No prior knowledge or skill required from the audience. Anyone who is interested in visualizing Wikipedia is welcomed to see VideoWiki's demo.
Single Fixed Location Camera would suffice.The presentation can be shared with a CC License.
Additional material[edit | edit source]
Meta Page - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/VideoWiki
Website - https://videowiki.wmflabs.org/en/
- ↑ Zia, Leila; Johnson, Isaac; Mansurov, Bahodir; Morgan, Jonathan; Redi, Miriam; Saez-Trumper, Diego; et al. (2019): Knowledge Gaps – Wikimedia Research 2030. figshare. Journal contribution.
- ↑ https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Community_Consultation_on_Strategy,_WMF_Metrics_Meeting_July_2015.pdf&page=39