In late 2018 Wikimedia Finland and Ajapaik started the m:Helsinki rephotography project. Helsinki residents will rephotograph open license or public domain historical images using a smartphone application (currently Android only). The photographic activity encourages physical exercise as well as lets the users contribute openly available photography for anyone to use. Historical photos will be geotagged as a byproduct.
In 2019 we are for the second time using Ajapaik and rephotography in Wiki Loves Monuments Finland to rephotograph lost places and document change in urban environment.
The project itself is built on top of Ajapaik, an 8-year-old open source crowdsourced geotagging and rephotography platform, developed by Estonian Photographic Heritage Society. The historical photographs in Ajapaik are mostly openly licensed photos from public collections with open API.
In the session we will demo the app, talk about the project and the way we are using it for Wiki loves monuments Finland, and hold a discussion seeking feedback.
To get as many people as possible to try out the app and to gather ideas for WLM Finland through user feedback. We also hope to demo using the app to discover open licensed photos nearby and to upload them to Wikimedia Commons.
- Kimmo Virtanen (user:Zache, kimmo.virtanengmail.com; Wikimedia Finland)
- Vahur Puik (User:Puik, vahurajapaik.ee; Estonian Photographic Heritage Society)
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Our project aims to promote a healthy lifestyle to a target group that doesn’t get the recommended amount of exercise as well as connect the residents with their environments. We also seek to educate our audience on urban change. Our session aims to showcase these targets and to seek feedback.
The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Short presentation with examples and then roundtable discussions
- Session length 60 min
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: small clasroom with projector
- Audience: 15-30 persons, there is no need to have prior knowledge. Mobile app used in presentation is for android only.
- Recording: filming by a single fixed-location camera and can be shared on internet with free licence, slides are published under free licence
- Nice to have: During the event it would be nice to have a wall / space as a gallery for placing rephotography photo-pairs taken during the event for the duration of Wikimania
If you would like to attend this session, please express your interest by signing
* ~~~~ below
- --Ralf Roletschek (talk) 20:25, 10 June 2019 (UTC)