2019:Partnerships/Pouring coastal water on Wikidata - Can we add more?
|This is an Accepted submission for the Environmental space at Wikimania 2019.|
Description[edit | edit source]
Development goals 6, 12 and 14 calls for a more sustainable management of natural and water resources. Goal 12 especially talks about assuring all people have relevant information to make sustainable decisions in their lives. The following submission ties in to these goals by encouraging the awareness and usage of ecological and chemical status classification information about the water bodies in Europe.
Background: During 2015-2019 Wikimedia Sweden, Swedish water management authorities and Sweden’s meteorological and hydrological institute (SMHI) have collaborated around facilitating the description of water management, the Water framework directive and ecological status classification on Wikidata and Wikipedia. New Wikidata properties and templates for info-boxes utilizing reported ecological status have been created to facilitate the use of information about ecological status classification in Wikipedia articles about lakes and coastal water.
This submission sets up a workshop to map more countries status classification data to Wikidata as well as evaluating whether new properties are needed to properly describe the data.
Questions we want to raise are
- What are the first steps one has to take to introduce status classification data from a new country to Wikidata?
- Are spatial and geographical data surrounding the classification data readily available?
- Is there any license issues with the data?
- What information is there about the implementation of the water framework directive in other countries?
- What wikidata properties are most suitable to describe the relationship between geographical objects and Water framework directive objects on Wikidata?
- Are new properties needed to properly describe the relationship? Especially where the overlap is only partial.
Complementary reading: Algotsson J, Van Der Stelt F, Abdoush D. Swedish coastal water bodies on Wikidata Combining WFD data with Wikidata. 2019.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- Portal page on Meta or Wikidata with basic steps for importing data, including links to gouvernment agencies and resources
- Information about licenses relevant to environmental and costal water data
- Initiated discussion about identifiers and properties useful for importing data.
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- Workshop to identify and try to solve problem
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Room with tabels where participants can edit
- Audience: Users with basic knowledge about Wikidata and an interest in building partnerships and importing data
- Recording: Not required