2019:Quality/Project WikiLoop: Contributing to open knowledge from Google
This is a Closed submission for Wikimania 2019. It has been reviewed and was not accepted.
Description[edit | edit source]
Project WikiLoop is an engineering effort initiated by Google engineers, based on Google's big data resources, to contribute knowledge to open knowledge ecosystems such as Wikipedia, adhering to Wikipedia community policies.
Search engines have been relying on the health of the open knowledge world, most notably Wikipedia. Yet there are few established efforts to allow continuous contributions of knowledge back to the Wikimedia ecosystem. Project WikiLoop, which was initiated by a engineers at Google, aims at rethinking our efforts in making more knowledge more accessible to the open knowledge ecosystems. We generate data using our computational power to identify potential issues. We build tools, such as bots, games and webapps, to help editors address these issues. We aim to ensure that we are following community policies (such as [[WP:NPOV]]), and that we contribute transparently and unbiased.
Relationship to the theme[edit | edit source]
This session will address the conference theme — Wikimedia, Free Knowledge and the Sustainable Development Goals — in the following manner:
The data and tools created by Project WikiLoop aim at identifying quality issues of various Wikipedia language editions and Wikidata. Examples of such issues include, but are not limited, to conflicting values across Wikipedia language editions, missing values, vandalism, and candidate citation links when citations are missing.
Session outcomes[edit | edit source]
At the end of the session, the following will have been achieved:
- The audience will get an understanding of the goals and motivations of Project WikiLoop
- The audience will learn about the portfolio of datasets and tools that WikiLoop currently makes available and is planning
- The presenters will listen to the feedback from the audience, in order to guide the further direction of the project
- The presenters are eager to learn how to avoid making the community unhappy, and how to help most effectively
- The presenters hope to receive brainstorming ideas and find potential project collaborations for WikiLoop related efforts
Session leader(s)[edit | edit source]
- User:Xinbenlv, Google
Wikipedia Signature: Xinbenlv (talk) 18:19, 17 June 2019 (UTC)
Session type[edit | edit source]
Each Space at Wikimania 2019 will have specific format requests. The program design prioritises submissions which are future-oriented and directly engage the audience. The format of this submission is a:
- (Preferably) Presentation style
- Also open to Lighting Talk and Poster format
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The session will work best with these conditions:
- Room: Ideally A class room fits number of interested participants. (I have no idea...) with projector with HDMI port to be connected to a Mac Laptop.
- Audience: 30 - 50, or we can accommodate more if more people are interested. Ideally an audience who care about improving data/knowledge quality with help of large scale computation, or structural data.
- Recording: Yes, happy to have it recorded and published
Update: this submission will be a Lightning Talk and will happen on Sunday, August 18th at 12:30. Xinbenlv (talk) 16:56, 12 August 2019 (UTC)